Saturday, May 17, 2014

Donkey Surprises are getting more common


Walking next door to buy some bouillon cubes from my neighbor and there's a donkey.  Back when I first arrived in country and did 3 months in a village south of Ouagadougou with a host family, there was a donkey just outside my bedroom window.  It would bray right when my tiredness would overcome my heat discomfort as I fell asleep.  They are number 2 on my most annoying animals list, not as bad as guinea fouls, but worse than pigs and goats and chickens. 


 We just stood there and looked at each other.  I have it on very good authority from another volunteer that all the donkeys died from an epidemic in mine and surrounding villages a while ago, and are slowly being reintroduced.  For the past 18 months though, its been pretty quiet. 


I think he felt safer than he really was.

No comments:

Post a Comment