Saturday, July 12, 2014

My Last Rainy Season


The rains have come again and it's time to plant.  My neighbor is around 70 but still always up and about.  The kids plow the fields with dabas fitted like shovels and then she sows the seeds.
                                                                                                                                                                   



Awa can do hectares of this in a morning.  You just go on down the row and scoop out to make the seed beds.  I did one 100 foot long row and had to lie down for a while.  You can fit many different metal endings to the end of the daba tool.  I plan to bring a few back with spade attachments for weeding or whatever gardening I do.  I won't be needing the shovel/plowing attachment.

Not many people have the means to use a donkey pulled plow, so its all by hand.



The majority of my neighbors' corn field.  They also have rice and yam fields.


She carries a cane that she smacks into the ground to make a hole for the seeds and then she drops them in.  When you get used to the process it can go pretty fast.  I love the square sombrero.  It's about 9am and maybe 90 degrees in this picture, but ole grandma Ouattara isn't phased by such things as heat.

2 comments:

  1. Barry, I have thoroughly enjoyed your blog and all the pictures you have posted since arriving. I have been able to see the experience through your eyes and it has been excellent. I'm very proud of everything you've done. Well done, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, and safe travels home. We're looking forward to seeing you once you've settled in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see another blog post before you leave.. as Unc Bill said, we love reading your blog and so glad you've had this live experience ~ but we want you home now :) Today (for your birthday) we are still in Roatan, Honduras and have gone to the dive site called "Barry's Reef"… yep, it's named after you! Maybe this is where you will end up one day LOL… miss you, only 29 more days till you get a mom hug :) Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete