Monday, August 11, 2014

Barry Goes to Côte d'Ivoire



I boarded the train at 9am Saturday thinking I would arrive at 2am Tuesday, sleep in the station till sunrise, and then go on to my hotel.  The 2nd class seating (1st class was sold out) consists of unpadded McDonalds style benches.  It wasn't too comfortable and sleeping was impossible.  But the view was incredible.


10 hours going through the jungle and all of a sudden this basilica pops up out of the palm trees.



Unfortunately, we got in at 6pm Sunday.  I was happy to be off the train but finding a hotel in a strange city at dusk makes me a little nervous.  I got a taxi and said to take me to a hotel in the 20-30$ range.  After an hour of driving around, looking for this guy's buddy in the Angré quarter, we found him and he took us to a couple of hotels that are called 'residences' for tax purposes.  It was dark and I was a little nervous, but being from Ouagadougou and knowing so much about Burkina Faso helped me because this guy says he specializes in helping Burkinabe businessmen find lodging in Abidjan.  The 2nd place we check out seems fine and I pay the $22 and half expected to get robbed, my comeuppance for poor planning.  But my luck held out and I was more than happy.

I think the guy, despite my appearing to know about Burkina, was still worried that I would be Americanly unimpressed with the lodgings.  Dude, I've been living in a village of 4000 for 2 years.  There was a tiny kitchen, a toilet, a TV with Canal+ and an AC.  I'm satisfied.  No running water?  Son I invented no running water.  Give me a giant barrel of water and a few buckets and I'm happy.  I slept in 18 degrees C with a big smile on my face.

This morning (today is Monday) I get in touch with my info guide and he tells me how to get to the Grand Bassam, where my planned hotel is.  I'm 500 meters from the beach and I'm paying $10 a night.  The lodging is spartan, but remember that I'm a Peace Corps Volunteer.  This place has a fan and running water! I can take a bush taxi into Abidjan for $1 anytime I want.  I'll go explore a couple of markets, a couple of city sectors, and the beach.

3 days till my flight leaves.  Or I could just live here and set up a frozen banana stand.


No comments:

Post a Comment