Thursday, August 14, 2014

Thanks for all the beach Ivory Coast, but I've got a plane to catch

It's been 4 days and 3 nights since I settled down here in the Grand Bassam.  I've laid on the beach, eaten good street food and explored Abidjan.  But now it's finally time to go back to the USA.

Abidjan is a cool city, though still a little war torn.  They haven't picked up all the pieces or torn down all the partially destroyed buildings.  But in maybe 5 years, I will definitely want to come back.  There are about a half-dozen city sectors and each one has there own color taxi, but the orange ones go everywhere.  There are big buildings and malls and crowed residential buildings and corner markets and street sandwiches with fish, meat, guacamolé, fries, fried plantains and all sorts of vegetables.  There's lots of Mediterranean inspired restaurants.  Grand Bassam is a 1$ taxi van ride away and you can easily get $10-20 rooms.  I estimate that may go up to the $50 range when things get going, but still pretty cheap for what you get.

Maybe I was easily impressed because the standard of hotel rooms was so much higher than in my small Burkinabé village.  This trip was a great transition for me.  I was pretty morose on the train ride over from Ouagadougou.  Getting all the depression from leaving my village out of my system, and on the beach no less, will make my homecoming much happier for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment